Are you in the market for a retractable screen door? Take your time when shopping and look around for a system that will suite your lifestyle and your budget.
Price and Quality
- When shopping for a retractable screen, late fall and the winter months are the best time to make your purchase as companies will be more willing to to drop the price since its off season. At the height of the season a typical single entry door retractable screen would be anywhere from $350 to $500 (installed) depending on the options that are chosen and if any extra adapters are required for the screen to be installed on the door.
- Visiting home shows or a showroom would be a great place to evaluate competing products. A retractable screen display unit allows you to operate the screen and feel its quality. Make sure the screen is study enough to withstand the amount of use you are going to place on it.
- A Powder coated retractable screen system will provide the best protection against the outdoor elements. Other paint options are available on the market but do not offer the same longevity and UV fading protection.
- Speed reducer systems are a popular feature amongst home owners today. The speed reducer slows the rate of speed at which the screen retracts back into the housing. This feature can be useful and kids or pets are present. The only known downside to speed reducers is that it can cause premature fraying of the screen mesh.
- The screen mesh in a retractable screen is one of the most important components of the screen. Most manufacturers use a 18*14 charcoal fiberglass mesh which provides the best visibility and UV filtration. If small insect are a problem then consider the No See Um screen mesh which features small holes in the mesh to prevent the tiniest of bugs to get through. A popular mesh option amongst pet owners would be Pet Mesh. This PVC coated fiberglass mesh provides the best screen protection form your pets claws. You should always ask the screen representative to show you samples of the screen mesh to determine which option is best for you.
- Retractable screens are best performed when they are installed by a professional installer from trained from the screen manufacturer. Retractable screens can be mounted againts the exterior door brickmould trim or inside the jamb. Make sure the installer explains the different installation options to you so you can decide which will be the best one for you.
- Retractable screens require a track to be mounted at the top and bottom. Ensure that the tracks do not interfere when entering and exiting the doorway. Ask the installer to show you where the tracks will be mounted. The more reputable manufacturers offer several sill adapters that are mounted on the sill to better accommodate the bottom track.
- Ask if you’ll be getting a lifetime warranty that covers finishes and components.
- Ask the installer what maintenance would be required for the screen.